- Mid prices
- Last items
- Mandaï Gift Vouchers
Sign in or Register.
|More concerts ...
Website orders are now back on the track. If you're not receiving any news after 48h, please drop us a mail at email@example.com
It looks like we have some troubleshooting if ordering via our website. Were trying to fix it up asap.
New titles of Cuneiform Records and Skin Graft Records are not yet in stock
Benoit Lizen's album is now out of print
|More news ...
une commande pleine de bruits reçue rap...
Au risque de me répéter : Service 5 é...
Mandai delivers fast the finest indie an...
|More feedbacks ...
| BURGESS, ANTHONY |
Conversations with the Anthony Burgess cassette archives (1964-1993)
Label : Sub Rosa
Year : 2020
Format : 2xLP
Style : Archives
Availability : In stock
Price : 20.70 € - BUY
|Description :||Double LP/CD curated by Alan Dunn in collaboration with the International Anthony Burgess Foundation and Sub Rosa.
Anthony Burgess's second wife Liana carried a cassette recorder with her at all times to capture
her life with the author and their son Andrew. This extraordinarily intimate audio archive of
over 1,000 cassettes now sits with the International Anthony Burgess Foundation and artist Alan Dunn has been granted access to select excerpts from it and curate sonic conversations from others.
Disc 1 contains the very first and last known recordings of Burgess's voice alongside domestic
incidents, rehearsals and answering machine messages, while Disc 2 invites 23 artists and musicians to remix the rare material into a unique Burgess portrait far
beyond 'A Clockwork Orange'. Born in Manchester in 1917, Anthony Burgess was
educated at Xaverian College in that city and at Manchester University. He served in the army from 1940 to 1946 and as an education officer in Malaya and Brunei from 1954 to 1959. He published more than 50 books (including 'A Clockwork Orange' and his masterpiece, 'Earthly Powers') and composed around 250 musical works. He was created a Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres by President Mitterrand of France and a Commandeur de Mérite Culturel by Prince Rainier of Monaco. He died in London in 1993. His books are still read all over the world.
|Titles :||SIDE A |
01. Flexidisc AB discussing Shakespeare for The Book Society (1964)
02. Tape_0526 AB playing Greensleeves (1984)
03. Tape_0526 AB mock sales pitch for 'Enderby's Dark Lady' (1984)
04. Tape_0438a AB lecture 'Can art be immoral?' (1991)
05. Tape_0685 AB playing piano (1970s-1980s)
06. Tape_0438a 'Can art be immoral?' (1991)
07. Tape_0645 LB making list of desired translators of 'On going to bed' (1982)
08. Tape_0438a 'Can art be immoral?' (1991)
09. Tape_0670 AB-W playing guitar, 44 rue Grimaldi, Monaco (1980s)
10. Tape_0438a 'Can art be immoral?' (1991)
11. Tape_0625 AB and LB lunching at Casa Frollo, Venice, as seagulls swoop for the discarded Tiramisu (1988)
12. Tape_0438a 'Can art be immoral?' (1991)
13. Tape_0100 AB rehearsing of Mozart lecture (1991)
14. Tape_0685 AB-W playing, possibly the crumhorn? (1970s-1980s)
01. Tape_0626 The Burgess answering machine, Monaco (c.1984)
02. Tape_0642 AB discussing The Beatles (1986)
03. Tape_0656 AB and LB piano duet (unknown)
04. Tape_0581 AB's Nantes lecture in French (date?)
05. Tape_0494 AB giving acceptance speech for 'A Clockwork Orange' in Sardi's, New York (1972)
06. Tape_0655 AB playing Beethoven's 'Ode to Joy' on his keyboard (1980s)
07. Tape_0685 AB-W play-acting in French (1970s-1980s)
08. Tape_0645 AB and LB rehearsing a speech, referencing Strindberg, Engels, Kafka and Ibsen (1982)
09. Tape_0367b LB reading 'Chatsky' at home (c1993)
10. Tape_0526 AB mock sales pitch for 'Enderby's Dark Lady' (1984)
11. Tape_0100 AB rehearsing of Mozart lecture (1991)
12. Tape_0685 AB-W playing, possibly the crumhorn? (1970s-1980s)
01. The Reverend Max Ripple: Mr Burgess Says That Writing is Hard (2'03)
02. Vicky Clarke: Human Being (2'16)
03. Dinah Bird: FFFF (2'00)
04. Alan Dunn & noisesurfer: Ode (1'53)
05. Roy Claire Potter and Kieron Piercy: Adjrust (2'54)
06. Mark Vernon: Vitrified Exhalations (1'51)
07. David Birchall:Tony B's Monstrous Idol (3'06)
08. Marion Harrison: Janet and Howard are in the audience 2019 (2'25)
09. Jeff Young: Kubrick (3'22)
01. Scanner: Whilst his piano gently sleeps (3'14)
02. Ade Blackburn/Clinic & Paul Sullivan/Static: Pronto (2'02)
03. Foreign Investment: Canis lupus lupus (0'57)
04. Tobias Hazan: Nantes (1'03)
05. Eye Suriyanon: nocturnal hum (2'10)
06. Foreign Investment: Waiting for you (0'24)
07. Band Of Holy Joy - James Stephen Finn & Johny Brown: SCORN (3'46)
08. Chris Watson: rue Grimaldi re-mixed (3'39)
09. Guy-Marc Hinant & Laszlo Umbreit: Birds (4'28)